Finish the Sentence (And Keep Writing)

Looking for some fun writing exercises to boost your creativity or enjoy with your kids? Here's a fun writing prompt to sharpen your writing skills and strengthen your creativity. Finish the following sentences and then keep writing. Use each prompt as the first sentence in a paragraph (at least five sentences long). You can keep the story going with several paragraphs if you're having fun. Each writing prompt should start a new paragraph/story. 


The ___________________ ate all of the _______________I had in my kitchen. 


The yellow ____________________ scared me when I saw it. 


The airplane carrying_________________ flew to ______________. 


When I opened the door, I smelled the _____________________ my Mom was cooking. 




Bonus challenge: 

Choose one sentence and turn it into a 750 to 1000-word short story. Make the sentence you choose your opening sentence for the story. Slowly add in your characters and any backstory that the readers need to know. 

Remember that even short stories need both description and dialogue. There should be a good balance of both. For this challenge, I also want you to pay attention to parts of speech. I want you to have five to seven adverbs scattered throughout the story. I also want you to add three adjectives to your first draft. 

Bonus points if you add in a simile or metaphor in the story. 

Simile:

Comparing two things using "like" or "as" (e.g., "She runs like the wind"). 

Metaphor:

Directly comparing two unlike things without using "like" or "as" (e.g., "The world is a stage"). 

Literary devices add depth to each story and help readers connect to the story through their senses and their imagination. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

While Pencils Move: A Short Story for Mothers

November 5 Writing Challenge

A Writing Challenge: Atavistic